The content you are viewing is from the 2016 Festival. For the current Festival information please click here!  

Stirling Gardens

Barrack St & St Georges Terrace, Perth Western Australia 600

perth.wa.gov.au

Stirling Gardens are Perth’s oldest public gardens. The gardens, named after Governor James Stirling, were originally used as an acclimatisation garden where many of its mature specimens were raised from seed. Grapes and other important fruits were first grown here. In 1845 it was opened as a botanical garden and some original trees planted still stand within the Gardens today.

Reconstruction of Stirling Gardens was carried out in 1965 with the Toodyay stone retaining wall and shallow pools which were designed by the City of Perth. Stirling Gardens honours the name of Sir James Stirling who fought long and hard for the establishment of a settlement in Western Australia. A more recent feature of the Gardens is the kangaroo sculptures and water feature. Located within Stirling Gardens are the 'Ore Obelisk', Supreme Court Building and Perth’s oldest building 'The Old Court House Law Museum'.